Saturday, February 27, 2010

One Week Down & Feeling Mighty Good

I'm truly amazed. Although diet is a four-letter words, I'm encouraged about how good I feel after shedding those first ten pounds. When you're as heavy as I am, they're not visible to the naked eye, but that's okay. Getting rid of the weight is doing me a world of good mentally, not to mention the affect it's going to have on my health and that's what is keeping me going.

I'm really proud of myself too for not giving in to the bagels, cream cheese and chocolate milk a co-worker brought into the office yesterday. I love them, but I'm SO damn determined this time, I wasn't even tempted. Maybe watching the Winter Olympics has something to do with my incredible desire to get back in shape this time. Ha! All those sleek, firm bodies squeezed into (what is that material anyway?) those tight-fitting ski suits--hmmm. Ha! I'll be happy to get out of my tight-fitting jeans. Seriously, I hate the way I look and I have nightmeres of my daughter, a lovely 24 year old, to call us one of these days to say she's getting married and I don't want to look like a baby Orca dressed in gabardine. Other insentives include a 30-year anniversary coming up in June and several other public engagements that I'll be involved in later this year.

Ask anyone, I'm a control freak and proud of it, so why haven't I been able to to control my weight? I have no idea, but that's behind me. So, the big question is, did I cheat this week at all? Does eating two slices of mushroom and green pepper pizza last night count? Hmm. Over all, this week went well. I'm not an expert on dieting by any stretch of the imagination but the only way I'm going to stay on this is if I give myself the "okay" to stray once in a while. Fridays in our house is usually pizza night. So what may seem like cheating was a well-planned approach. My focus is to reduce my calories and fat intake by 1) food preparation, and 2) portion size. So this was my Friday intake.

Breakfast:

  • a scrambled egg (cooked with cooking spray)
  • one slice of whole wheat toast with a small amount of margerine
  • a small glass of O.J.

Lunch:

  • 1/3 cup or rice and 1 cup of pork/carrots/broccoli (left over from the low-cal stir-fry I fixed the night before)

Snack:

  • a small banana

I'm not up to 8, 8-oz. glasses of water a day, but have been drinking at least five and that's an improvement too.

Today, I start to exercise. Hmm. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Maxine