Friday, February 19, 2010

Where Do I Start?

How about with every diet I've started and failed at.

Actually, I stayed with several of them for months. With one I lost 30 pounds, 25 with another. Both times I looked and felt great. Most of the other diets were nothing but frustrating.

The truth of the matter is, I have the will of a jelly fish when it comes to eating. I simply enjoy food. So the minute I got sidetracked from the diet (company, vacation, etc.) I’ve always found it hard to get back on track.

Another thing is that I always feel consumed by the process of dieting--measuring this, weighing that. I don't want to spend my entire day thinking about the next meal (even though I look as if I do). I would love to come home and not have to think about what to fix, having said this, I don't believe those high-priced diet plans; the ones that only allow you their prepared foods work. They may help people lose the weight, but what happens when they go back to eating “normal” food?

My mother was a diabetic for the last 45 years of her life. I grew up with the diabetic meal plan. I know and continue to cook (believe it or not) the way she did. However, being the otherwise healthy person that I am, I don’t watch my portions or my snacks. Heaven knows I wish I was the type of person who couldn’t eat when they were stressed. I’d be skinny as a rail. Not me, nothing takes my appetite away. Whether I'm happy, sad, stressed, content, angry, tired, excited ... it doesn’t matter, I eat.

The only thing I know to do is to make my story public and journal my diet and exercise successes here. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Em and Maxine, Terrific! I'll be rooting for you both. Maybe I can do something too about those extra punds that snuck up on me...Arg! Good luck!!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Cathy, isn't it great to know we're not alone in our battle to regain a waistline? Yes! We can do this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Maxine